Region 8 football preview: Plenty of changes, but Timpview still picked to be on top
"Fortunately I'll be able to have a lot of the same great coaches here that Louis did," said Whittingham. "It's obviously a huge challenge to keep having the same success that they're used to here, but my attitude is that if it's not broke, then you don't fix it. I've been here a while and my goal is to keep a lot of the same things that have brought so much success in place."
Region 8 projections
(preseason rankings on based on coach's votes)
1. TIMPVIEW: The Thunderbirds return some good experience at key positions from a team that made it to the state semifinals a year ago. Quarterback Jake Lloyd returns at quarterback along with receivers Dax Raymond, Rhett Van Leeuwen and running back Gregson Aspinall. The key will be to find good line play on both sides of the football after losing some of its top linemen from a season ago. Timpview, as always, will have to deal with having a huge target on its back, but should have enough to repeat as region champs. 2011 record: 10-3 PLAYOFFS: Lost to East, 24-10, in the 4A state semifinals
2. OREM: The Tigers are expected to finish near the top of Region 8 for good reason. The prolific offense returns starting quarterback Taylor Camp along with many other key components that had coach Anderson's offense humming a year ago. Depth is a big concern for the smaller 4A program, but if it can stay healthy, Orem could very well improve upon the success of last season. 2011 record: 5-6 PLAYOFFS: Lost to East, 31-13 in the first-round.
3. MAPLE MOUNTAIN: The Golden Eagles surprised everyone last season with their second-place region finish after being picked to finish dead last. With returners such as quarterback KJ Hall and middle linebacker CJ Hildebrand, they should have enough to prove that last season was no fluke. 2011 record: 7-4 PLAYOFFS: Lost to Highland, 42-20 in the first round.
4. TIMPANOGOS: The Timberwolves are an optimistic bunch following their fourth-place finish from a year ago. It's a team that returns a lot of good experience and is entering its third year under head coach Ed Larson, who is the longest-tenured coach in Region 8. Timpanogos returns starting quarterback Kaden Bramall, star running back Max Hill and a lot of other key contributors who could place it on top of Region 8. 2011 record: 4-7 PLAYOFFS: Lost to Bountiful, 42-27, in the first round.
5. SPRINGVILLE: The Red Devils are undersized at most positions, but confident they'll find themselves near or at the top of the Region 8 following a down year in 2011. New quarterback Payton Thorpe will lead the charge on offense while players such as Zach Hanson, Jessie Noll and Brandon Leslie will lead the defense. Consistency will be key for Springville as it seeks to reestablish itself against an improving Region 8. 2011 record: 3-8 PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify.
6. MOUNTAIN VIEW: The Bruins had a tough time rebounding from their heartbreaking loss to Timpview early in the season. The loss seemed to take a lot of them as they stumbled toward the end of the year, finishing sixth in region. Coach Jon Snyder is preaching better consistency this year with the focus of taking one game at a time. 2011 record: 3-6 PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify.
7. PROVO: New coach Cody Mallory believes Provo is a sleeping giant that will contend with the top teams in Region 8 in the coming years. He's instituted a five-year plan for the Bulldogs and a new triple-option offense in hopes of improving the team's overall production. Converted receiver Jeff Van Buren will lead the offense at the quarterback position. 2011 record: 2-8 PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify
8. SALEM HILLS: Wins haven't come easy for the Skyhawks since first taking the field in 2008 and should have their work cut out again in 2012. Coach Higginson understands that it will be tough to shape his team into a contender, but loves the overall attitude of his players. Salem Hills is young on offense, but returns some good experience on defense and hopes to improve on its two wins last season. 2011 record: 2-8 PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utah football notebook: Utes now have to wait...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 95
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 30
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 27
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23