AKRON, Ohio — A steady diet of pars kept Jim Furyk in the lead Saturday in the Bridgestone Invitational, but not by much.
Furyk made his only birdie on the par-5 second hole and had to rely on a couple of strong par saves on the back nine at Firestone for an even-par 70, giving him a one-shot lead over Louis Oosthuizen going into the final round of this World Golf Championship.
Furyk began the week with a 63, and he's not sure he didn't hit the ball better in the third round. Under three days of sun-baked conditions, the greens lost their moisture and enough wind arrived to make players think more than they would prefer.
Oosthuizen had to scramble for pars at the start before he settled into his round of 68.
Keegan Bradley, who can move into the top eight in the Ryder Cup standings with a runner-up finish, had a 67 and was four shots behind. He will be in the final group today.
3M CHAMPIONSHIP: At Blaine, Minn., David Peoples matched his career best with a 10-under 62 on Saturday to take a three-stroke lead in the Champions Tour's 3M Championship.
Peoples, who twice shot 62 on the PGA Tour, had a 14-under 130 total.
RENO-TAHOE OPEN: At Reno, Nev., J.J. Henry had an eagle for the third straight day and scored 14 points to take the third-round lead in the Reno-Tahoe Open.
John Daly and Justin Leonard were among more than a dozen players within striking distance in the PGA Tour's first modified Stableford scoring system event since 2006.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 50
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 19
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 8