AKRON, Ohio — A steady diet of pars kept Jim Furyk in the lead Saturday in the Bridgestone Invitational, but not by much.
Furyk made his only birdie on the par-5 second hole and had to rely on a couple of strong par saves on the back nine at Firestone for an even-par 70, giving him a one-shot lead over Louis Oosthuizen going into the final round of this World Golf Championship.
Furyk began the week with a 63, and he's not sure he didn't hit the ball better in the third round. Under three days of sun-baked conditions, the greens lost their moisture and enough wind arrived to make players think more than they would prefer.
Oosthuizen had to scramble for pars at the start before he settled into his round of 68.
Keegan Bradley, who can move into the top eight in the Ryder Cup standings with a runner-up finish, had a 67 and was four shots behind. He will be in the final group today.
3M CHAMPIONSHIP: At Blaine, Minn., David Peoples matched his career best with a 10-under 62 on Saturday to take a three-stroke lead in the Champions Tour's 3M Championship.
Peoples, who twice shot 62 on the PGA Tour, had a 14-under 130 total.
RENO-TAHOE OPEN: At Reno, Nev., J.J. Henry had an eagle for the third straight day and scored 14 points to take the third-round lead in the Reno-Tahoe Open.
John Daly and Justin Leonard were among more than a dozen players within striking distance in the PGA Tour's first modified Stableford scoring system event since 2006.
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Partially paralyzed LDS runner completes...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35