AKRON, Ohio — A steady diet of pars kept Jim Furyk in the lead Saturday in the Bridgestone Invitational, but not by much.
Furyk made his only birdie on the par-5 second hole and had to rely on a couple of strong par saves on the back nine at Firestone for an even-par 70, giving him a one-shot lead over Louis Oosthuizen going into the final round of this World Golf Championship.
Furyk began the week with a 63, and he's not sure he didn't hit the ball better in the third round. Under three days of sun-baked conditions, the greens lost their moisture and enough wind arrived to make players think more than they would prefer.
Oosthuizen had to scramble for pars at the start before he settled into his round of 68.
Keegan Bradley, who can move into the top eight in the Ryder Cup standings with a runner-up finish, had a 67 and was four shots behind. He will be in the final group today.
3M CHAMPIONSHIP: At Blaine, Minn., David Peoples matched his career best with a 10-under 62 on Saturday to take a three-stroke lead in the Champions Tour's 3M Championship.
Peoples, who twice shot 62 on the PGA Tour, had a 14-under 130 total.
RENO-TAHOE OPEN: At Reno, Nev., J.J. Henry had an eagle for the third straight day and scored 14 points to take the third-round lead in the Reno-Tahoe Open.
John Daly and Justin Leonard were among more than a dozen players within striking distance in the PGA Tour's first modified Stableford scoring system event since 2006.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 42
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26