NY Times columnist: Feud between Harry Reid, Mitt Romney is symptomatic of a broken system
Our take: In light of the ongoing spat between Harry Reid and Mitt Romney, Columnist Frank Bruni decries a political climate wherein serious allegations can be levied without any evidence or factual substantiation. Spew first and sweat the details later, or never. Speak loosely and carry a stick-thin collection of backup materials, or none at all. Thats the M.O. of the moment, familiar from the past but in particularly galling and profuse flower of late.
FOR the dwindling few out there who still believe that big accusations require a little foundation and that truth as opposed to conjecture matters, heres an update:
As last week drew to a close, Harry Reid, the Senates Democratic majority leader, had backed up his claim that Mitt Romney didnt pay taxes for a 10-year period with absolutely nothing more than some vague reference to some unnamed guy who said something of the sort to Reid during some phone conversation some time ago.
- Penny-farthing owner keeps on riding
- Brie Larson confirmed as 'Captain Marvel'
- Authorities: Munich shooter planned attack...
- Clinton's turn: Guide to the Democratic...
- Baton Rouge to continue to mourn officers...
- Civil-rights marchers: US still needs to...
- Obama: Trump's NATO comments show...
- Turkey investigating people who say coup...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 42
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 40
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 27