J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
Harry Reid has descended to the lowest form of politics — defamation by innuendo. He has suggested impropriety by Mitt Romney in nonpayment of taxes. The shame is compounded by his certain personal knowledge from acquaintance, history and records that Romney, whatever you think of his candidacy, is a person of high moral values who supports and upholds the law.
Even if it were true that accounting circumstances of gains and losses permitted avoidance of payment of taxes in some years, the fault, if any, would be for stupidity in paying more taxes than the law requires. And there is consistency of generosity in personal contributions to nongovernmental charities. That comparison between Romney and Reid and among others running for public office, who are clamoring for release of tax returns for political exploitation, would be revealing of true character.
Reid, by contrast, has broken the law for the past three years and continues to do so daily by failure in his sworn duty as Senate Majority Leader to submit a budget for operation of the government. He should be recalled for dereliction of duty.
I am ashamed of Reid for his current behavior. I have understood his liberal philosophy of governmental assistance based on his family roots and early experiences but disappointed in his political tactics, now defamation without cause, to accomplish his goals.
Besides shame, embarrassment and disappointment, I am saddened by his apparent lack of guilt of conscience.
George Gee Jackson
Salt Lake City
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 42
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible... 33