WIMBLEDON, England — Roger Federer leaned on the net, exhausted but exhilarated after winning the final set 19-17 to earn his first Olympic singles medal.
"It has been a long time coming," he said.
The wait included an Olympic marathon Friday, when Federer played for four hours, 26 minutes to beat Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina 3-6, 7-6 (5), 19-17. It was the longest three-set men's match of the Open era.
"I definitely got a sense that it was something special," the top-seeded Federer said. "The deeper we went into the match, the more I thought, 'Wow, this is so cool to be part of a match like this.'"
Federer converted only two of 13 break-point chances, the second coming in the next-to-last game, and had several nervous moments. But he held serve 12 times in the final set to stay in the match.
With the comeback victory, the four-time Olympian is assured at least a silver. On Sunday he'll play in the final against No. 3 Andy Murray of Britain, who beat No. 2 Novak Djokovic of Serbia 7-5, 7-5.
Federer and Swiss teammate Stanislas Wawrinka won the gold in doubles in 2008. But Federer had been 0 for 3 in Olympic singles, the biggest blemish on a resume that includes a record 17 Grand Slam championships.
His latest title came at Wimbledon a month ago against Murray.
Serena Williams also clinched her first Olympic singles medal, beating No. 1-seeded Victoria Azarenka 6-1, 6-2. On Saturday, the No. 4-seeded Williams will face first-time Olympian Maria Sharapova, who beat Russian teammate Maria Kirilenko 6-2, 6-3. Williams teamed with sister Venus to win the gold in doubles in 2000 and 2008. They have a chance to clinch at least a silver in the semifinals Saturday.
Americans Bob and Mike Bryan are assured at least a silver after beating Julien Benneteau and Richard Gasquet of France 6-4, 6-4 in the semifinals of men's doubles.
Mike Bryan and Lisa Raymond advanced to the first Olympics mixed doubles final since 1924 by beating Del Potro and Gisela Dulko 6-2, 7-5.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41