Scott G. Winterton, File, Deseret News
After attending the heated and emotion-packed Truth in Taxation hearing to raise taxes to re-fund the Unified Police Department, I still don't know where the money went that used to pay for the Sheriff's Department.
As far as I can tell, the county mayor and council spent those taxes on other county projects that are less popular than police protection, leaving the UPD unfunded without raising taxes. They spent our tax dollars on things far less important than police protection.
Two years ago, they shifted funding for the UPD to a very unpopular user fee that from now on will be paid for by a 14 percent increase in my property taxes. I can't afford them any longer. November is only three months away when we can change things. Peter Carroon needs to step down. Mark Crockett is a proven tax fighter and budget hound with the guts to face reality. I can't afford anything less.
- In our opinion: Aging without a family
- Charles Krauthammer: U.S. refuses to support...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What's to be...
- Letter: Doctors unite
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should move...
- My view: Utah needs to expand Medicaid
- George F. Will: The choices we have on Iran