Utah Utes football: Receiver Kenneth Scott draws praise from Whittingham
SALT LAKE CITY — After the second day of preseason camp, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham joked that it was a lot like the movie "Groundhog Day." The second day was a lot like the first, same schedule and similar results.
"No different thoughts today than yesterday," Whittingham said after Friday morning's two-hour practice session at Ute Field. "I'm still very pleased with the new group of players (and) everyone's still working hard."
As far as individual standouts, Whittingham noted that wide receiver Kenneth Scott has had a "very good" first two days of practice. Others earning praise from Whittingham include "the usual guys." He said that quarterback Jordan Wynn was sharp and that running back John White had a good day. On defense, Whittingham mentioned cornerback Mo Lee and defensive tackle Star Lotulelei.
The opportunity for lesser-known players to shine increases Saturday and Monday when the Utes add helmets and shoulder pads while working through the NCAA's acclimatization period.
It'll be nice tomorrow to get the gear on and start to find out more about these guys — their physicality and so forth," Whittingham said. "That's when you start to see your first signs of separation is when you get the pads on."
A mild shoulder sprain kept senior receiver DeVonte Christopher on the sidelines Friday. He's expected to resume action on Monday.
EXTRA POINTS: Running back James Poole, a 6-foot, 187-pound sophomore from Saddleback (Calif.) College has been added to the camp roster ... The Utes will take Sunday off before resuming camp next week ... Utah's first double day is Wednesday. The initial scrimmage is set for Thursday.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41