Utah Utes football: Receiver Kenneth Scott draws praise from Whittingham
SALT LAKE CITY — After the second day of preseason camp, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham joked that it was a lot like the movie "Groundhog Day." The second day was a lot like the first, same schedule and similar results.
"No different thoughts today than yesterday," Whittingham said after Friday morning's two-hour practice session at Ute Field. "I'm still very pleased with the new group of players (and) everyone's still working hard."
As far as individual standouts, Whittingham noted that wide receiver Kenneth Scott has had a "very good" first two days of practice. Others earning praise from Whittingham include "the usual guys." He said that quarterback Jordan Wynn was sharp and that running back John White had a good day. On defense, Whittingham mentioned cornerback Mo Lee and defensive tackle Star Lotulelei.
The opportunity for lesser-known players to shine increases Saturday and Monday when the Utes add helmets and shoulder pads while working through the NCAA's acclimatization period.
It'll be nice tomorrow to get the gear on and start to find out more about these guys — their physicality and so forth," Whittingham said. "That's when you start to see your first signs of separation is when you get the pads on."
A mild shoulder sprain kept senior receiver DeVonte Christopher on the sidelines Friday. He's expected to resume action on Monday.
EXTRA POINTS: Running back James Poole, a 6-foot, 187-pound sophomore from Saddleback (Calif.) College has been added to the camp roster ... The Utes will take Sunday off before resuming camp next week ... Utah's first double day is Wednesday. The initial scrimmage is set for Thursday.
- BYU football: Suspensions impacting both BYU...
- Cougars in the pros: Lasike scores first pro...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- BYU at Nebraska football: How to watch and...
- Hill-led BYU offense looking for strong...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Sept. 4
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Brad Rock: Utes to Harbaugh: Update your...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to... 114
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 80
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 74
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 44
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Brad Rock: Take expletives, not... 36
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 30