Utah Utes football: Receiver Kenneth Scott draws praise from Whittingham
SALT LAKE CITY — After the second day of preseason camp, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham joked that it was a lot like the movie "Groundhog Day." The second day was a lot like the first, same schedule and similar results.
"No different thoughts today than yesterday," Whittingham said after Friday morning's two-hour practice session at Ute Field. "I'm still very pleased with the new group of players (and) everyone's still working hard."
As far as individual standouts, Whittingham noted that wide receiver Kenneth Scott has had a "very good" first two days of practice. Others earning praise from Whittingham include "the usual guys." He said that quarterback Jordan Wynn was sharp and that running back John White had a good day. On defense, Whittingham mentioned cornerback Mo Lee and defensive tackle Star Lotulelei.
The opportunity for lesser-known players to shine increases Saturday and Monday when the Utes add helmets and shoulder pads while working through the NCAA's acclimatization period.
It'll be nice tomorrow to get the gear on and start to find out more about these guys — their physicality and so forth," Whittingham said. "That's when you start to see your first signs of separation is when you get the pads on."
A mild shoulder sprain kept senior receiver DeVonte Christopher on the sidelines Friday. He's expected to resume action on Monday.
EXTRA POINTS: Running back James Poole, a 6-foot, 187-pound sophomore from Saddleback (Calif.) College has been added to the camp roster ... The Utes will take Sunday off before resuming camp next week ... Utah's first double day is Wednesday. The initial scrimmage is set for Thursday.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16