Here's one to make Cleveland fans shake their heads: A partial owner of the hated Pittsburgh Steelers is buying the Browns.
Randy Lerner has reached a deal to sell the club to Tennessee truck-stop magnate Jimmy Haslam III — a minority stockholder in the rival Steelers.
Lerner will sell 70 percent of the Browns to Haslam now, with the other 30 percent reverting to him four years after the closing date, a person with knowledge of the sale told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details have not officially been announced.
While the papers have been signed, the NFL still must approve the sale. Getting the nod from 24 of the 32 teams is required, and no date has been set for a vote because the sale has not been presented to the league yet.
PASSIONATE OLYMPIC FAN: Defensive tackle Mitch Unrein is setting his alarm for the wee hours Saturday morning even though the Denver Broncos' stadium scrimmage isn't until mid-afternoon.
Unrein is hoping to watch his girlfriend, Olympic trap shooter Corey Cogdell, strike gold in London.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 171
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26