BYU football: O'Neill Chambers' career at BYU is likely over
PROVO — Based on his performance in spring ball, on and off the field, it appeared that senior O'Neill Chambers was ready to return to the BYU football team this fall.
But Chambers, who hasn't played since 2010 due to a suspension, was not invited to participate in fall camp because he is not currently in good standing with the program, according to coach Bronco Mendenhall.
It appears that Chambers' career as a Cougar is over.
"That's the way it looks right now," Mendenhall said Thursday, following Day One of fall camp. "Really, nothing has changed with O'Neill. From all the way back to last January, I've been really consistent in saying it's going to be day-by-day, with very specific things between he and I that he needs to do. To this point, there are some of those things that he hasn't done. I'm hopeful that O'Neill can live a quality life and do what he needs to do."
Chambers played wide receiver and returned kicks in 2008, 2009 and 2010. He is BYU's career leader in kickoff returns (69) and second in kickoff return yards (1,611).
During spring drills, Chambers played defensive back and the plan was for him to shore up the depth in the defensive secondary.
Meanwhile, senior defensive back Robbie Buckner, freshman defensive back Trevor Bateman and freshman defensive lineman Taumata Tofi did not report to fall camp for medical reasons. They are expected to join the team once school begins.
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 67
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 42
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 17
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14