BYU football: O'Neill Chambers' career at BYU is likely over
PROVO — Based on his performance in spring ball, on and off the field, it appeared that senior O'Neill Chambers was ready to return to the BYU football team this fall.
But Chambers, who hasn't played since 2010 due to a suspension, was not invited to participate in fall camp because he is not currently in good standing with the program, according to coach Bronco Mendenhall.
It appears that Chambers' career as a Cougar is over.
"That's the way it looks right now," Mendenhall said Thursday, following Day One of fall camp. "Really, nothing has changed with O'Neill. From all the way back to last January, I've been really consistent in saying it's going to be day-by-day, with very specific things between he and I that he needs to do. To this point, there are some of those things that he hasn't done. I'm hopeful that O'Neill can live a quality life and do what he needs to do."
Chambers played wide receiver and returned kicks in 2008, 2009 and 2010. He is BYU's career leader in kickoff returns (69) and second in kickoff return yards (1,611).
During spring drills, Chambers played defensive back and the plan was for him to shore up the depth in the defensive secondary.
Meanwhile, senior defensive back Robbie Buckner, freshman defensive back Trevor Bateman and freshman defensive lineman Taumata Tofi did not report to fall camp for medical reasons. They are expected to join the team once school begins.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37