2012 London Olympics: BMX rider Arielle Martin already on her way to full recovery
Utah BMX racer Arielle Martin is showing her toughness even in a California hospital.
The 27-year-old Cedar Hills native had exceeded doctors expectations less than 48 hours after a crash lacerated her liver and collapsed her right lung, according to her husband, Michael Verhaaren.
"Arielle is officially off all IV fluids and is up and walking around under her own power," he said. "Shes still not feeling super hot, but she is doing much better."
Martin crashed Tuesday in her final practice before she was scheduled to travel to London to compete in what would have been her first Olympics. The crash was caused by a bicycle malfunction, and while her injuries were initially life-threatening, she's now expected to make a full recovery.
Her husband said it is her hope to recover enough to join her teammates in London and at least participate in the closing ceremonies. Doctors have told her it will take seven to 10 days for them to be able to determine whether or not she is healthy enough to travel to London.
This week's devastating turn of events seems especially cruel as Martin was denied an opportunity to compete in Beijing in 2008 when she crashed unexpectedly in the quarterfinals of the World Championships. She was at the time the undisputed best female BMX cyclist in the country.
After arriving at a San Diego hospital, Martin asked for a blessing from elders in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve, was in the area and helped give Martin the blessing.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25