Thank you for publishing "Trinity: The plight of 'downwinders' " by Eve Mary Verde (July 20).
I am a downwinder and a cancer victim. Of seven siblings, five of us have had cancer — all of different types. When we count spouses, the number reaches eight.
We all had the misfortune of being born and raised in Sanpete County. That county was arbitrarily left out of the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act of 1990. My sister was denied compensation when her husband died at 45 from cancer. My brother's widow struggled on without compensation after he died of cancer.
We need to make sure our government never again willfully irradiates us. Idaho Sen. Mike Crapo needs our support in pushing for expansion of RECA's boundaries. If Sen. Orrin Hatch will not support that cause, we need to elect a senator who will.
- John Florez: Utah public education is a house...
- In our opinion: How committed are Obama, U.S....
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic
- 19 songs to consider as replacements for the...
- Catherine Rampell: Have America's public...
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on marriage?
- In our opinion: The Scots have set an example...
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 93
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 76
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 37
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- Richard Davis: Scots — Be brave,... 25
- In our opinion: Accountability,... 25
- Who likes Obama's ISIS plan, and who... 24
- My view: Intergenerational poverty the... 19