Thank you for publishing "Trinity: The plight of 'downwinders' " by Eve Mary Verde (July 20).
I am a downwinder and a cancer victim. Of seven siblings, five of us have had cancer — all of different types. When we count spouses, the number reaches eight.
We all had the misfortune of being born and raised in Sanpete County. That county was arbitrarily left out of the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act of 1990. My sister was denied compensation when her husband died at 45 from cancer. My brother's widow struggled on without compensation after he died of cancer.
We need to make sure our government never again willfully irradiates us. Idaho Sen. Mike Crapo needs our support in pushing for expansion of RECA's boundaries. If Sen. Orrin Hatch will not support that cause, we need to elect a senator who will.
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 31
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 21
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 19
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 14