Jonathan Short, Associated Press
Our take: As an increasing number of children, from toddlers to tweens, walk around with faces buried in iPhones, iPods and other digital devices, savvy businesses are recognizing the need to cater to this younger demographic. Kidz Bop, a company launched in 2001, tailors pop music hits to tots by removing offensive lyrics, changing suggestive words, and engaging young customers in online contests and video sharing. Learn more about what Kidz Bop is doing to cater to children in this Wall Street Journal profile.
When Carly Rae Jepsen belts out her summer hit "Call Me Maybe," she describes ogling a stranger: His "ripped jeans skin was showin.' "
In the world of Kidz Bop, that is a no-no.
So, a handful of tweens covering the song described their handsome stranger like this: "Ripped jeans, smile showin.' "
This version of the song helped launch the album Kidz Bop 22 to No. 1 on Billboard's Kids Albums chartand No. 3 on the Billboard 200 ranking of all albums, just after the latest albums from hip-hop artist Nas and the Zac Brown Band.
Young children are being exposed to pop hits online, developing their own taste and choosing which songs to buy and download onto their very own iPods. Musicians, companies like Kidz Bop and, increasingly, adult record labels are targeting members of the loose-tooth set because they aren't just tomorrow's customer, they are today's.
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker release...
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: The books that change us
- Time for an assessment of the year in movies...
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop yelling...
- 4 ways to guarantee your kids will have a...
- The Clean Cut: USA women's soccer hat-trick...
- It just became easier to be a mother in the Navy
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker... 12
- Does Shakespeare still have a place in... 10
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 10
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom... 4
- Where are all the good Fourth of July... 4
- Time for an assessment of the year in... 4
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop... 3
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the... 2