Our take: Pope Benedict XVI is already preparing for the 28th World Youth Day by encouraging youth to step up evangelization efforts. According to a Vatican statement, the hope is that, "young people, called to follow Christ, may be willing to proclaim and bear witness to the Gospel to the ends of the earth." The Pope, who reaches out frequently to youth, tries to challenge them with the idea that finding true happiness is based on following Jesus.
With exactly one year to go until the 28th World Youth Day begins in Rio de Janeiro, Pope Benedict XVI is praying this August that young people will engage in evangelization.
That young people, called to follow Christ, may be willing to proclaim and bear witness to the Gospel to the ends of the earth, the official Vatican statement from July 31 says.
Pope Benedicts mission prayer intention echoes almost exactly the theme for next years event in Brazil, Go and make disciples of all nations.
It also comes only days after he used his traditional Sunday Angelus address to send his best wishes to those organizing the six-day international festival, which will take place July 23-28, 2013.
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 99
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 33
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 30
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 16
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 16