Our take: Rapper Snoop Dogg, also know by his real name Calvin Broadus Jr., has decided to drop his famous moniker for another, more reflective of a recent religious awakening. "Snoop Lion" will be the rapper's new name after he spent time in Jamaica and was given the name by a Rastafarian priest.
In 1993, the debut single Whats My Name? catapulted rapper Snoop Dogg to fame. But if you ask him that question now, hell have a different answer. Snoop Dogg changed his name to Snoop Lion after a spiritual awakening in Jamaica this February, which he described to reporters at a press conference on Monday.
So, no more D-O-double-G. No more Doggfather or Dogghouse or Woof! which, presumably, will be replaced with a roar. Snoop Lion has been working on a reggae album, Reincarnated, the recording of which is being chronicled in a documentary film that premieres at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.
Snoop told reporters that he was rechristened Snoop Lion by a Rastafarian priest.
- Mormon mission president held, robbed by...
- LDS missionaries meet London teen battling...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- New Harmony: Now pitching for the Angels:...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 11
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 10
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 7
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 7
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 7
- 5 must-see answers to faith's biggest... 7
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian... 5
- LDS missionaries meet London teen... 5