Our take: Even though it is recommended that babies drink their mother's milk, many don't receive it. What is stopping these mothers from breast-feeding?
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that women breast-feed for at least 12 months to get the full benefits of improved immunity for their children, and some groups and researchers say that any supplemental feedings in the first year are problematic because they believe exclusive nursing leads to the greatest health benefits.
Nevertheless, fewer than half of American babies are breast-fed for six months. I understand why.
What You May Have Missed
- The 20 best family-friendly movies of 2014
- From Vocal Point to Alex Boye: Top 10 'Clean...
- These simple changes can make your family so...
- Is ‘The Battle of the Five...
- Did Disney succeed in creating a...
- 5 things that are changed (or added) in...
- Chris Hicks: More than ever, 2014 was a Comic...
- The Clean Cut: How does a homeless man spend...
- The Clean Cut: How does a homeless man... 8
- Should toy marketing be gender neutral? 5
- Did Disney succeed in creating a... 4
- Arianne Brown: Threatening your young... 3
- What Americans think about marriage,... 2
- Is ‘The Battle of the Five... 2
- Erin Stewart: Inane toys you won't find... 1
- 'Unbroken' is powerful, inspiring,... 1