Roberts, a North Sanpete graduate, returns home after serving as a Desert Hills assistant the past few years. He's hoping to bring more toughness to the program both offensively and defensively.
Juab earned the last playoff spot from Region 12 last year, and coach Mike Bowring has been particularly pleased with how hard his kids have worked this offseason to improve upon that.
"The kids have done a good job in the summer lifting, and at camp we improved every day. We're optimistic, which I think most people are at this point," he said. "I like our kids, we have good leaders. They've been working hard, and we're excited to see what we can do."
Junior quarterback Jeff Rowley is the projected starter heading into the season, but he's getting pushed by sophomore Nick Robbins, who had a great summer.
Region 12 projections
(Preseason rankings are based on coaches' votes)
1. SPANISH FORK: Was among the top five scoring offenses in 3A last year at 33.3 ppg. The Dons return five starters from last year's semifinal team, which should help ease the transition of first-year coach Kirk Chambers. Levi Mitchell and Jordan Brandon are returners on the line who hope to give Spanish Fork's new quarterback time to adjust. Whether that new QB is junior Jeremiah Evans or sophomore Jason Money remains to be seen. Also back offensively are Gunnar Beus at fullback and Cam Money and Colton Olsen at receiver. The Dons' run defense struggled against quality teams last year, and shoring that up is one of the top priorities of new defensive coordinator Kevin Nichol. 2011 RECORD: 9-4. PLAYOFFS: Lost to Hurricane in semifinals.
2. DELTA: The Rabbits were the surprise Region 12 champs last year, but only four starters return in their bid for a repeat. Two of those starters are in the trenches — Dallin Christensen and McKay Shamo — which should help with the precision inverted wishbone offense. Delta graduated most of its top skill position players last year, but big things are expected of senior Ezra Seui after he contributed 346 rushing yards and five TDs last year. The QB position is up for grabs between senior Hunter Johnson and junior A.J. Schena. Replacing all-stater Colin Christensen won't be an easier task for either. Kale Leavitt, Kole Lyman and Danny Dutson will be key contributors in the backfield as well. 2011 RECORD: 10-2. PLAYOFFS: Lost to Cedar in quarterfinals.
3. JUAB: The Wasps don't return many starters, but coach Mike Bowring has loved the work ethic of his players and is excited about the upcoming season. One of those few returning starters is Chandler Vance, who will anchor the offensive and defensive line. Junior Jeff Rowley is in line to win the quarterback job, but he's getting pushed by sophomore Nick Robbins. Regardless of who's taking snaps, Curtis Orme will be the top receiving threat after he led the team with 561 yards and seven TDs last year. Defensively, Juab will be led by Trevor Fowkes, Dalton Harmon and Dalton Brooks. 2011 RECORD: 6-5. PLAYOFFS: Lost to Stansbury in first round.
4. PAYSON: A year after a rather disappointing season, Payson is counting on third-year starting QB Devan Judd to lead it to its first winning season since 1978. Judd passed for 2,893 yards and 20 TDs last year, but he also threw 21 interceptions. Cutting down on those mistakes should help the Lions improve on their 18.6 ppg. KK Loveless and Preston Little should emerge as the top receiving threats. Getting stops was a problem last year, but a strong front seven and a new scheme should help this year. Anchoring the defensive line are a pair of seniors, Rueben Uresti and Taris Schramm. The two combined on 73 tackles and six sacks last season. 2011 RECORD: 3-7. PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 100
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 48
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 37
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 31