Report: Brian Blechen's suspension linked to failed drug tests for marijuana use
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Spence Checketts of 1280 The Zone is reporting that Utah safety Brian Blechen's three-game suspension for violating team rules is tied to failed multiple drug tests for marijuana use.
Citing anonymous sources with intimate knowledge of the situation, Checketts is also reporting that two other players face suspension and that Blechen is now under a "zero tolerance policy."
Utah senior associate athletics director Liz Abel said the university would have nothing to add to the initial announcement on Monday that read: "Junior safety Brian Blechen will sit out the first three games of the season (Northern Colorado, Utah State and Brigham Young) for a violation of team rules. Blechen will participate in practices throughout his suspension."
Blechen, who is scheduled to return to action on Sept. 22 at Arizona State, has been a major contributor on Utah's defense over the past two years — making 145 tackles and intercepting seven passes. He was named a Freshman All-American in 2010 and an honorable mention Pac-12 all-conference selection in 2011.
Junior Quade Chappuis now tops the depth chart as Utah's starter at strong safety. Junior Michael Walker and sophomore Terrell Reese are listed as the backups.
The Utes report for camp on Wednesday. Practice begins Thursday.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 102
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 12
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5