Report: Brian Blechen's suspension linked to failed drug tests for marijuana use
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Spence Checketts of 1280 The Zone is reporting that Utah safety Brian Blechen's three-game suspension for violating team rules is tied to failed multiple drug tests for marijuana use.
Citing anonymous sources with intimate knowledge of the situation, Checketts is also reporting that two other players face suspension and that Blechen is now under a "zero tolerance policy."
Utah senior associate athletics director Liz Abel said the university would have nothing to add to the initial announcement on Monday that read: "Junior safety Brian Blechen will sit out the first three games of the season (Northern Colorado, Utah State and Brigham Young) for a violation of team rules. Blechen will participate in practices throughout his suspension."
Blechen, who is scheduled to return to action on Sept. 22 at Arizona State, has been a major contributor on Utah's defense over the past two years — making 145 tackles and intercepting seven passes. He was named a Freshman All-American in 2010 and an honorable mention Pac-12 all-conference selection in 2011.
Junior Quade Chappuis now tops the depth chart as Utah's starter at strong safety. Junior Michael Walker and sophomore Terrell Reese are listed as the backups.
The Utes report for camp on Wednesday. Practice begins Thursday.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 64
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14