Massive evangelical church service set to run on the eve of Democratic convention
Our take: On Sept. 2, the night before the Democratic convention opens in Charlotte, N.C., a group of more that 40 different evangelical churches and denominations will meet in the 20,000-seat Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre to pray for the outcome of the 2012 presidential election and the state of America, among other things. Organizers of the meeting have drawn some controversy for their unwavering opposition to same-sex marriage and abortion and they have called on attendees to fast for the 40 days leading up to the meeting.
On the night before the Democratic convention in Charlotte, at the tip of America's bible belt, more than 40 evangelical, Baptist and other Christian churches will host a massive church service in the 20,000 seat Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre.
"Charlotte714," as the Sept. 2 event is being called, was inspired by bible verse 2 Chronicles 7:14, which instructs that if people "turn from their wicked ways," God will forgive their sins. The group's website says that with the country's focus on Charlotte that week, in a "morally degenerating culture," it is an opportunity to organize a service that will help "[God's] church return to Him."
The organizer of the event, David Benham, comes from a family deeply involved in the evangelical church. His father, Flip Benham, leads the Dallas-based fundamentalist Christian group Operation Save America, which fiercely opposes abortion and homosexuality.
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- ValueSpeak: A tip of the hat to innocence
- LDS Church releases video about... 46
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 44
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 29
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 11
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 9
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6