In a speech in Roanoke, Va., on July 13, President Obama said, "If you've got a business — you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet." With all due respect, taxpaying individuals and businesses funded the building of roads, bridges and the Internet. The government took taxpayer funds and contracted with private businesses to build those roads, bridges and the Internet.
We appreciate government's role in coordinating the effort but wish they were more efficient with our investments (taxes). We appreciate our teachers, law enforcement officers, military and the highways, both paved and electronic, that allow us to conduct business. We show that appreciation by paying our fair share of taxes and fueling the national economy with investments, initiative and hard work.
We, the people, did build the roads, bridges, Internet and our own businesses.
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Charles Krauthammer: Notes from Cleveland:...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 45
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 37
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 30
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22