In a speech in Roanoke, Va., on July 13, President Obama said, "If you've got a business — you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet." With all due respect, taxpaying individuals and businesses funded the building of roads, bridges and the Internet. The government took taxpayer funds and contracted with private businesses to build those roads, bridges and the Internet.
We appreciate government's role in coordinating the effort but wish they were more efficient with our investments (taxes). We appreciate our teachers, law enforcement officers, military and the highways, both paved and electronic, that allow us to conduct business. We show that appreciation by paying our fair share of taxes and fueling the national economy with investments, initiative and hard work.
We, the people, did build the roads, bridges, Internet and our own businesses.
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 45
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 45
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 40
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 35
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 24
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 19