In a speech in Roanoke, Va., on July 13, President Obama said, "If you've got a business — you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet." With all due respect, taxpaying individuals and businesses funded the building of roads, bridges and the Internet. The government took taxpayer funds and contracted with private businesses to build those roads, bridges and the Internet.
We appreciate government's role in coordinating the effort but wish they were more efficient with our investments (taxes). We appreciate our teachers, law enforcement officers, military and the highways, both paved and electronic, that allow us to conduct business. We show that appreciation by paying our fair share of taxes and fueling the national economy with investments, initiative and hard work.
We, the people, did build the roads, bridges, Internet and our own businesses.
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive... 65
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship... 51
- In our opinion: Security with Clinton's... 45
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do... 44
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid... 36
- Letter: Stimulate the economy 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Charter schools... 26
- My view: Women’s equality —... 25