LAS VEGAS — Salt Lake starter Greg Smith tossed 62?3 strong innings to lead the Bees to a 5-2 win over the Las Vegas 51s on Monday night.
Smith (6-8) allowed just two runs on five hits with a season-high-equaling seven strikeouts and two walks.
Francisco Rodriguez, Bobby Cassevah and David Carpenter combined for 21?3 scoreless innings with Carpenter earning his first save of the season for Salt Lake.
The game was tied 1-1 in the fourth when Hank Conger led off with a single.
One out later, he scored on a double by Efren Navarro, who was brought home on a two-out double by Cory Aldridge.
Salt Lake added an unearned run in the fifth and capped off the scoring with a run-scoring single by Trevor Crowe in the ninth inning.
Crowe led the Bees with his second consecutive three-hit game with two RBIs.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 103
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24