Can it prosper without one?
Is the invention key to building a profitable organization?
Will the new idea generate a sufficient return on investment?
Are there other strategies that might be pursued to secure a competitive advantage?
Are there sufficient funds to research patent eligibility and patentability?
Are there funds to obtain the patent and potentially defend it?
Even with a patent, could a competitor prevent the invention from being made and sold?
Can the organization wait until a patent is issued?
Can the company engage an experienced patent attorney for assistance?
Is there someone in the organization who can manage the patent process?
These are critical decisions to make at the outset of the product or company launch. As Marty has noted, finding and engaging the right legal resources is key.
What has been your experience in the realm of finding and securing U.S. patents? Do you have words of advice or opinions to share? I welcome your thoughts, either through this column or via my personal website at www.alanehall.com.
This article originally appeared in Alan's Forbes column.
Alan E. Hall is a cofounding managing director of Mercato Partners, a regionally focused growth capital investment firm. He founded Grow Utah Ventures, is the founder of MarketStar Corp. and is chairman of the Utah Technology Council.
- Writers offer personal finance advice to Obama
- Former middle-class moms choose new identity...
- IRS probe ignored most influential groups on...
- Dick Harmon: Utah analytics company breaks...
- New app helps consumers purchase products...
- Utah added 43,000 more jobs in April 2013...
- West Davis Corridor project unveiled amid...
- Is the Wii U already becoming outdated?
- Writers offer personal finance advice... 24
- Utah's public university presidents... 9
- New app helps consumers purchase... 8
- Obama: 'Our focus cannot drift' from... 7
- Two new hotels announced for downtown... 6
- West Davis Corridor project unveiled... 6
- Tea party tax returns show small... 4
- IRS probe ignored most influential... 4