High school football preview: Manti's young offensive line could spell trouble in 2A North
7. AMERICAN LEADERSHIP: Bobby Kauo takes over as head coach after serving as a longtime assistant at Provo. Following a season in which ALA qualified for the playoffs and nearly upset Richfield in the first round, he's hoping to build off that momentum with seven returning starters defensively and six offensively. Briggs Fulton is a three-year starter at QB, and is coming off a productive junior season in which he passed for over 1,200 yards. The Eagles' lines will be anchored by Oaks Morley, a senior who's getting interest from BYU and several other schools. Carter Henderson will be a key contributor at linebacker and running back, while sophomore Neil Davis should emerge as the top receiving threat. 2011 RECORD: 3-7. PLAYOFFS: Lost to Richfield in first round.
8. NORTH SEVIER: With only about 35 kids out for football this year, it could be a tough season for North Sevier. Coach Ryan Higgs said a lot of kids who've played in the past are too concerned about getting hurt for other sports. The Wolves, however, have a decent junior class which should help them avoid relying too much on the 15 freshmen. Kolton Robins is a returning starter at linebacker, and he'll likely end up starting on the offensive line as well. The two other returning starters are Trent Hampton and Kyler Yardley, who both start at receiver and defensive back. 2011 RECORD: 1-8. PLAYOFFS: Did not qualify.
More preps online
Be sure to log on to DeseretNews.com to read 2012 football previews for Alta, Clearfield, Skyline, Grantsville, Delta and American Leadership 2A North projections
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27