Our take: Religion Dispatches interviews a Brigham Young University professor who says Mitt Romney doesnt give a complete picture in explaining the economic success of Israelis and the economic plight of Palestinians:
With regard to Romney's statements about economic disparities between Israel and Palestine, Peterson noted, "There are other factors Gov. Romney should've noticed," including that "Palestinians are not just under occupation but are surrounded by a wall."
"If I could sit down and talk to him," said Peterson, "Id like to say, but Governor, remember, the Palestinians are too from our point of view theologically descendants of Abraham, and they deserve concern and consideration too." While a Latter-Day Saint would believe, as Romney claimed, that "the hand of Providence" is on Israel, Peterson cautioned, "I would be really careful about saying that in a political context, I would really want to balance it out if I were speaking publicly as a politican to express concern and support for legitimate Palestinian aspirations." Peterson said he worried about Romney's statements because "I dont want Mormons to be seen as so pro-Israeli that we discount actual grievances that I think in some cases the Palestinians really have."
Read more about the way one BYU professor characterizes Mormon's view on Israel on Religion Dispatches.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named ambassador...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 22
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 17
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 17
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 11