Jae C. Hong, Associated Press
Our take: An interesting look at how the Olympic movement has navigated religion from ancient times to the current London Games.
A 600-foot footrace was the only athletic event at the first Olympics, a festival held in 776 B.C. and dedicated to Zeus, the chief Greek god.
For the next millennium, Greeks gathered every four years in Olympia to honor Zeus through sports, sacrifices and hymns. The five-day festival brought the Greek world together in devotion to one deity.
- New Jersey lawsuit seeks to ban Pledge of...
- Wright Words: What do you tell a prospective...
- LDS Easter video viewed over 5 million times
- Faith untested as Americans skeptical of Big...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Photo gallery: Celebrating Easter across the...
- Costa Rican a celebrity after certified miracle
- No. 1 on two charts, 'He is Risen' latest hit...
- How much did President Obama donate to... 51
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ... 23
- Faith untested as Americans skeptical... 23
- Wright Words: What do you tell a... 21
- New Jersey lawsuit seeks to ban Pledge... 17
- The story behind the missionary reality... 15
- LDS Easter video viewed over 5 million... 15
- Most voters favor prayer, minus Jesus,... 12