ANCASTER, Ontario — Robert Garrigus broke the 54-hole scoring record at the Canadian Open that was first set more than a half-century ago by Arnold Palmer.
Now he needs to finish like the King.
On rain-softened greens that took the bite out of Hamilton Golf & Country Club, Garrigus combined his power with some timely putts for a 6-under 64 on Saturday that gave him a one-shot lead over William McGirt, who lost ground despite a 66.
Scott Piercy had a 67 and was another shot behind.
Garrigus was at 16-under 194, one shot better than Palmer in 1955 at Weston Golf & Country Club outside Toronto, and matched two years ago by Dean Wilson at St. George's Golf & Country Club. Palmer went on to win the 1955 Canadian Open for the first of his 62 titles on the PGA Tour.
Garrigus will be going for his second win, though this tournament is a long way from being settled.
He was fortunate to escape with par, not to mention his health, on the final hole when his 3-iron off the tee ran out 290 yards and just into the hazard short of the bridge. He had to clip the ball to avoid smacking the bridge and damaging his wrist, and the wedge came out perfectly.
SENIOR BRITISH OPEN: At Turnberry, Scotland, Bernard Langer shot a 4-under 66 to take a one-stroke lead over Fred Couples heading into the final round of the Senior British Open.
EVIAN MASTERS: At Evian-Les-Bains, France, American Stacy Lewis birdied the final hole for a 1-over 73 and a share of the lead with lead with South Korea's Inbee Park after the third round of the Evian Masters.
LYONESS OPEN: At Atzenbrugg, Austria, Austria's Bernd Wiesberger won the Lyoness Open for his second European Tour victory, closing with a 7-under 65 for a three-stroke victory in the national championship.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48