BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Veteran TV personality and newswoman Katie Couric already has numerous accomplishments under her belt: "Today" show star, network news anchor, author, interviewer of celebrities and national figures, Sarah Palin thorn-in-side.
But in her appearance Thursday at the TCA summer press tour in Beverly Hills to promote her upcoming syndicated talk show, "Katie," Couric ticked off a few more things she'd like to do — sing in a Broadway musical, jump out of an airplane. "And I'd like to go out with George Clooney, if you could arrange that," she joked.
Still, Couric was mostly serious as she tackled a number of questions about her new venture, her stint at "The CBS Evening News," and her thoughts about the recent ouster of Ann Curry from "Today."
"My heart was breaking for her that morning," Couric said when asked about Curry's awkward on-air departure recently. She said it must have been horrible "to have that played out on the public stage. ... It was very hard to watch."
She praised Curry highly for her reporting. But in terms of the chemistry on the NBC morning news program, "for whatever reason, it wasn't clicking,"
Mostly, Couric was upbeat about her afternoon talk show, though she said it was still "a work in progress." The series premieres Sept. 19, and Couric will take on a high-profile role within the ABC News division while also producing and owning the talk show along with her onetime "Today" show producer, former NBCUniversal Chief Executive Jeff Zucker.
"Katie" will broadcast live from New York with a studio audience.
As for her days as anchor of "The CBS Evening News," Couric said she was taken aback at the ferocity of the criticism of her early days.
"The criticism seemed so shallow," she said, ranging from the way she held her hands on the desk to wearing a white jacket post-Labor Day. "It was Armani, people," she quipped.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: The biggest...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- First trailer for 'Night at the Museum:...
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 15
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- George W. Bush writes book about father 3
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1
- Behind the scenes of the Utah... 1