Sanders plans to ask the court to reinstate Katherine Jackson as guardian of the children when she is back in Los Angeles. He was looking forward to meeting with her in person on Thursday.
The public battle was revealed early Sunday after a relative reported Katherine Jackson missing, but she was later located safely with other family members in Arizona.
Jermaine Jackson has said his mother was following doctor's orders to cut off communications with the children, who range in age from 10 to 15. He didn't provide further details.
In addition to concerns about the safety of Jackson's children, some of Michael Jackson's siblings have recently called on the executors of his estate to resign.
Randy Jackson appeared Tuesday on Al Sharpton's MSNBC show PoliticsNation and said he believes his brother's will is a fake and that the executors have engaged in criminal activity.
The estate, which recently reported it saw $475 million in gross earnings since Jackson's death in June 2009, has denied wrongdoing and called the accusations "false and defamatory."
Beckloff, who also oversees financial issues affecting Jackson's estate, was initially reluctant to appoint a temporary guardian but changed his mind after hearing from several attorneys who expressed concern about the family's problems.
He made the ruling after hearing TJ Jackson's description of a "strange" conversation he had with Katherine Jackson on Tuesday evening.
"I've never heard my grandmother talk like that," he said reluctantly. "In every way. The sound in her voice. The pauses."
He said some of her speech sounded slurred and she used words that made him wonder if she was speaking in code.
Her son Marlon echoed those concerns on Twitter, complaining that siblings Janet, Randy and Jermaine were keeping her from him.
The children's guardian ad litem, Margaret Lodise, said she spoke with the children and the two oldest, Prince and Paris, supported the appointment of a temporary guardian. Lodise did not ask the youngest son, 10-year-old Blanket, for his views.
Lodise is responsible for overseeing the children's interests in the estate of their father.
Schultz said TJ Jackson didn't want to replace Katherine Jackson as permanent guardian. Still, the judge noted that TJ Jackson would have to petition to become the permanent guardian within 48 hours and added that such a petition might not be heard if Katherine Jackson re-emerges.
Sanders said he would fight any move to have her permanently replaced.
He said he met with Randy and Janet Jackson in Tucson, Ariz., on Tuesday, but he was not allowed to see his client. He said he still hoped the recent events were a misunderstanding, but he described them as "chaos."
Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP
- Ex-KKK leader David Duke runs for Senate: 'My...
- AP source: Clinton's choice for VP to be...
- Hillary Clinton selects running mate for...
- Self-assured, Kaine brings a steady hand to...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- California governor denies parole for Manson...
- AP Poll: Support grows among Americans for...
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people,...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 40
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 29
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 21