"People sometimes want to pray for you. If they do, you can tell them what you're hoping for," she said. "If I'm looking for a cure, that. Maybe I'm just hoping for a day free of pain. Maybe I'm looking for the strength and courage to face what is ahead for me. Let me tell you what I want."
For others, talking about their illness is the last thing they want to do.
"It makes them feel worse," Wasserman said. "It's, 'I don't want to think of myself as a cancer patient. I don't want to be talking about my aches and pains.' Sometimes people will tell and then really regret it, because they're being treated differently."
Taking control of the conversation is important, she said.
"Say, 'Look, I don't want you to treat me like I'm dying, or I don't want you to treat me like I'm pathetic,'" Wasserman said. "That's one reason why a lot of people don't tell. Their skin cringes to have people talk to them like that."
Jessica Aguirre, the mother of two young boys in Green Acres, Fla., was 29 when diagnosed with breast cancer nearly two years ago. Her bad news came just three days before she received a promotion to manager of the cell phone store where she is now on medical leave, after the cancer spread to her brain.
"I just decided to be completely open with everything and everyone at work," she said. "I just thought, you know what, maybe having this can help somebody else. I think that if you do keep it to yourself it will eat you up inside."
Follow Leanne Italie on Twitter at https://www.twitter.com/litalie
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Our marriage has eroded, and I'm glad it has
- Utah mom inspires braid for Prim in 'Hunger...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Blogger Stephanie Nielson says family was her...
- Carrie Underwood responds with prayers to her...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 119
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 12
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 8
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care... 5
- Toddler basketball star,... 4
- Food Storage Essentials: What about... 3