Sports briefs: Cardinals restructure Adrian Wilson's deal

Published: Tuesday, July 24 2012 11:21 p.m. MDT

CARDINALS RESTRUCTURE WILSON'S DEAL

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Five-time Pro Bowl safety Adrian Wilson has agreed to restructure his contract with the Arizona Cardinals and will take a pay cut unless he meets incentives established in the new four-year deal.

The extension, which runs through the 2015 season, was agreed to on Tuesday as the team reported to its training camp in Flagstaff.

The 32-year-old Wilson had two years remaining on the five-year, $39 million contract he signed in June 2009. His salary would have been $6.5 million this year and $7.5 million toward the cap. The new agreement lowers those numbers considerably. The Arizona Republic reported Wilson will take a $3.5 million pay cut this season.

But the total over the four years of the new deal could reach $28 million to $30 million if he meets certain incentives.

O'CONNELL ADDED TO KFAN RADIO TEAM

SALT LAKE CITY — Radio station 1320 AM KFAN announced Tuesday that Sean O'Connell will be joining the team as a sports talk-show host.

Better known as "OC" in the Utah sports world, O'Connell spent nearly two years on 1280 AM as the co-host of the successful "Hans and OC Show" in the morning. A Sandy native, O'Connell played college football as a linebacker and fullback, with stops at Southern Utah, the University of Utah and Weber State during his career.

After finishing his playing days under coach Ron McBride at Weber State, O'Connell began competing in Mixed Martial Arts fighting and now holds a 13-4 pro record to go along with his ranking as the top light heavyweight in Utah.

"Sean is the complete sports radio package. He can offer the player's perspective but is relatable and very entertaining," KFAN program director Kevin Graham said. "Clearly he is a fan favorite judging by all the positive feedback we received. We're very excited to have him be a part of the all new 1320 KFAN."

The time of the show and his co-host will be announced soon.

JAGUARS' ROOKIE PLEADS GUILTY TO DWI

STILLWATER, Okla. — Jacksonville Jaguars first-round draft pick Justin Blackmon pleaded guilty Tuesday to drunken driving in Oklahoma last month and was given a sentence that includes no jail time for the former Oklahoma State star.

"He is mortified by this," defense attorney Cheryl Ramsey said shortly after she withdrew Blackmon's previous not guilty plea to a misdemeanor count of driving under the influence and entered the guilty plea as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors. "He has apologized to the NFL commissioner. He apologized to the Jacksonville Jaguars. It will not happen again," Ramsey said.

Police arrested Blackmon during a traffic stop in Stillwater on June 3 after a breath test allegedly showed his blood-alcohol content to be three times the legal limit. Blackmon was previously arrested on a DUI charge in Texas in 2010 that was later reduced to underage alcohol possession.

—Deseret News staff and wire services

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS