POCATELLO, Idaho — The Idaho Museum of Natural History and the Smithsonian Institution have announced a cooperative agreement that will utilize the museum's expertise at making 3-D digital images.
In return the Smithsonian will help organize and bring exhibitions to the museum located at Idaho State University.
The Idaho State Journal reports that Idaho Museum of Natural History Director Herbert Maschner announced the signing in mid-June of the two-year memorandum of understanding.
"The Smithsonian has its own 3-D virtualization efforts, but they are very different from ours," Maschner said. "Our goal, and the goal of democratization of science model, is to put entire collections online so people can do research from anywhere in the world. We're going to contribute to their efforts by going to the Smithsonian and working on, for instance, some of their whale skeletons."
He said Robert Schlader and Nicholas Clement from the museum's Visual Laboratory will travel to the Smithsonian to help with the effort.
One of the first exhibitions at the museum will be on Native American warriors and code talkers, which will also be used to explore the history of Native Americans who served in the military.
"We're hoping to work closely with Fort Hall to make that happen," Maschner said.
— Associated Press
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for...
- Tad Walch: The LDS Church's call for balance...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- After 150 years, Confederate submarine's hull...
- The Force is strong with this one: Panel with...
- First lady defends 'American Sniper' at...
- Worker who saw victim's body testifies at...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run... 74
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 54
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 21
- Tad Walch: The LDS Church's call for... 19
- Attorney General nominee picks up... 14
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 13
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11