POCATELLO, Idaho — The Idaho Museum of Natural History and the Smithsonian Institution have announced a cooperative agreement that will utilize the museum's expertise at making 3-D digital images.
In return the Smithsonian will help organize and bring exhibitions to the museum located at Idaho State University.
The Idaho State Journal reports that Idaho Museum of Natural History Director Herbert Maschner announced the signing in mid-June of the two-year memorandum of understanding.
"The Smithsonian has its own 3-D virtualization efforts, but they are very different from ours," Maschner said. "Our goal, and the goal of democratization of science model, is to put entire collections online so people can do research from anywhere in the world. We're going to contribute to their efforts by going to the Smithsonian and working on, for instance, some of their whale skeletons."
He said Robert Schlader and Nicholas Clement from the museum's Visual Laboratory will travel to the Smithsonian to help with the effort.
One of the first exhibitions at the museum will be on Native American warriors and code talkers, which will also be used to explore the history of Native Americans who served in the military.
"We're hoping to work closely with Fort Hall to make that happen," Maschner said.
— Associated Press
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 43
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 25
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 15
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule;... 12