The character, the owner of a chain of dry-cleaning stores, was devised, Hemsley said, as "pompous and feisty."
"All of it was really hard for because — rude, I don't like to be that way," Hemsley said in a 2003 interview for the Archive of American Television. "But it was the character, I had to do it. I had to be true to the character. If I was to pull back something, then it just wouldn't work."
After "The Jeffersons" was abruptly cancelled, Hemsley starred in the sitcom "Amen" as a fiery Philadelphia church deacon, Ernest Frye. The show latest five years, running 1986 to 1991.
Jackee Harry, a longtime friend who made appearances on the show, said she and Hemsley had planned to tour in the musical "Ain't Misbehavin'." She said they had discussed it recently and that he seemed in good health and in good spirits.
"It's a sad, sad, sad day," she said from her home in Beverly Hills.
She recalled when the two of them were on a Manhattan sidewalk during the era of "The Jeffersons," and passersby went wild.
"He got mauled and mugged," she laughed. "He said, 'What's all the screaming about?' He was so popular and he didn't even know it."
She described him as "a very private person unlike George Jefferson. But he was very kind and very sweet, and generous to a fault."
Hemsley frequently turned up as a guest on sitcoms like "Family Matters," ''The Hughleys" and even, in a voice role, "Family Guy." He twice reprised George Jefferson, appearing as his famous character on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and, in 2011, on "House of Payne."
Hemsley, whose films include 1979's "Love at First Bite," 1987's "Stewardess School" and 1987's "Ghost Fever," released an album, "Ain't That a Kick in the Head, in 1989.
Coyle reported from New York City. AP Television Writers Lynn Elber and Frazier Moore in Beverly Hills, Calif., and Associated Press writer Terry Wallace in Dallas contributed to this report.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Tomorrowland' takes top spot at box office...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- And the winners of the 2014 Whitney Awards...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- Book review: 'Going Home' is a touching novel...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 5
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage... 3
- Knotty exhibit planned for pope... 2
- 'Tomorrowland' takes top spot at box... 1
- Is Hollywood pushing too many superhero... 1
- Owner of new Howa Gallery in Bountiful... 1