ATHENS, Greece — Greece's largest maximum security prison won't get to keep its waterfall-adorned, barbecue-equipped pool.
The Justice Ministry on Tuesday ordered the destruction of a 7.4 meter (24-foot) long pool in the yard of Korydallos prison's psychiatric wing, saying the structure was built without permission and did not comply with health and safety standards.
The pool's existence at the jail near Athens was reported by a newspaper Sunday. The ministry said the structure, reportedly built last year, includes a small rock waterfall and poolside barbecue racks.
Greece's Prison Officers Association said the pool was built using money raised by the association and was restricted to staff and inmates at the psychiatric wing. Korydallos houses some 2,300 inmates, with about 300 receiving some form of psychiatric care.
- Over 100 missing, 14 dead as strong quake...
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- Florida readies for a fight with Zika virus
- Manhattan crane topples into street killing...
- Search for possible survivors of midair crash...
- Lindsey Vonn wins women's World Cup downhill
- Pope's sex abuse panel tells survivor to take...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 28
- Cruz tops Trump in Iowa; Clinton,... 22
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Americans are packing classes in how to... 12
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10