ATHENS, Greece — Greece's largest maximum security prison won't get to keep its waterfall-adorned, barbecue-equipped pool.
The Justice Ministry on Tuesday ordered the destruction of a 7.4 meter (24-foot) long pool in the yard of Korydallos prison's psychiatric wing, saying the structure was built without permission and did not comply with health and safety standards.
The pool's existence at the jail near Athens was reported by a newspaper Sunday. The ministry said the structure, reportedly built last year, includes a small rock waterfall and poolside barbecue racks.
Greece's Prison Officers Association said the pool was built using money raised by the association and was restricted to staff and inmates at the psychiatric wing. Korydallos houses some 2,300 inmates, with about 300 receiving some form of psychiatric care.
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 71
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 19
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 14