And recording artist Will.i.am said before Sunday night's Teen Choice Awards that responsibility for any sort of negative behavior begins at home with the parents rather than with the media.
"If you are not raising your kids to have balance in life, that is one place we have to look at," he said.
Several recent films have depicted this sort of mass violence with sensitivity and sympathetic portrayals of the suspects' families as they attempt to pick up the pieces afterward.
"We Need to Talk About Kevin" from 2011, starring Tilda Swinton as the mother of a tormented teenage boy who goes on a deadly rampage, tries to help us understand the nature of a sociopath as well as the lifelong struggle of parenting such a difficult child.
Also from last year, "Beautiful Boy" follows a husband and wife (Michael Sheen and Maria Bello) on the verge of separation whose marriage collapses entirely when their 18-year-old son goes on a killing spree at his college, then takes his own life. And Gus Van Sant's artful, mesmerizing "Elephant" from 2003 tracks the lives of several ordinary high school students who are about to become targets of a Columbine-style shooting.
Vincent Grashaw, who produced and played a supporting role in last summer's intense, graphic drama "Bellflower," says he understands the need to find answers when a tragedy like this occurs. But he has no plans to soften the violence as he prepares to start production on his directorial debut, "Coldwater," about a teenage boy's struggle for survival in a wilderness juvenile reform center.
"As a filmmaker, when I hear people even utter questions like, 'Should Hollywood tone it down in terms of violence on film?' All I can do is just shake my head at this broad inquisition for it's an easy and obvious target," Grashaw said. "Having recently produced a pretty violent film and having seen the effect it had on many, I would be saddened if you were to harness anyone from that form of expression."
AP Television Writer Lynn Elber and AP Television reporter Marcela Isaza contributed to this report.
- Over 100 missing, 14 dead as strong quake...
- Rubio faces barrage of attacks in Republican...
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- Search for possible survivors of midair crash...
- Police think 6 Chicago deaths result of...
- Pope's sex abuse panel tells survivor to take...
- Lindsey Vonn wins women's World Cup downhill
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 28
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl... 9
- In a U.S. divided on gun control,... 8