Man involved in standoff remains hospitalized; officers unsure if he shot at police helicopter
Davis County Sheriff's Office
NORTH SALT LAKE — A man who police say barricaded himself inside his car and fired at least four rounds from a shotgun was hospitalized in stable condition Monday.
What remained unclear Monday was whether the man shot at a Department of Public Safety helicopter.
Brian Skidmore, 50, was arrested Sunday night after a nearly five-hour standoff with police.
Investigators say Skidmore was suicidal and crashed his car at the Irvine Duck Hunting Club, near 6100 W. John Glenn Drive in unincorporated Davis County, before barricading himself inside the vehicle.
Skidmore allegedly fired once at a person on an ATV, investigators said. Originally, the sheriff's office believed he also fired at a DPS helicopter. On Monday, however, a DPS spokesman said that wasn't the case, prompting Davis County to release an update.
"It is absolutely unclear whether or not the subject fired directly at the helicopter or was just firing his weapon during the time air support was near him," the sheriff's office said in a statement. "DPS authorities confirmed the pilot was at a very safe distance and never felt threatened."
Whether Skidmore fired at random was unclear Monday.
A SWAT team surrounded Skidmore's vehicle and, after several hours of failing to negotiate his surrender, launched tear gas into the vehicle. When Skidmore still didn't come out, a police K-9 was sent inside the car, according to the sheriff's office. Skidmore had three self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
Skidmore was taken to a local hospital where deputy Scott Harper said he was in stable condition Monday "under tight security."
The incident began about 4:30 p.m. Sunday when North Salt Lake police went to check on Skidmore after family members reported that he might be "distraught."
Police tracked him though his cellphone to an industrial area of Salt Lake City.
Skidmore drove off when an officer approached. Airport police blocked the roads in the area to keep him from escaping.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14