Man involved in standoff remains hospitalized; officers unsure if he shot at police helicopter
Davis County Sheriff's Office
NORTH SALT LAKE — A man who police say barricaded himself inside his car and fired at least four rounds from a shotgun was hospitalized in stable condition Monday.
What remained unclear Monday was whether the man shot at a Department of Public Safety helicopter.
Brian Skidmore, 50, was arrested Sunday night after a nearly five-hour standoff with police.
Investigators say Skidmore was suicidal and crashed his car at the Irvine Duck Hunting Club, near 6100 W. John Glenn Drive in unincorporated Davis County, before barricading himself inside the vehicle.
Skidmore allegedly fired once at a person on an ATV, investigators said. Originally, the sheriff's office believed he also fired at a DPS helicopter. On Monday, however, a DPS spokesman said that wasn't the case, prompting Davis County to release an update.
"It is absolutely unclear whether or not the subject fired directly at the helicopter or was just firing his weapon during the time air support was near him," the sheriff's office said in a statement. "DPS authorities confirmed the pilot was at a very safe distance and never felt threatened."
Whether Skidmore fired at random was unclear Monday.
A SWAT team surrounded Skidmore's vehicle and, after several hours of failing to negotiate his surrender, launched tear gas into the vehicle. When Skidmore still didn't come out, a police K-9 was sent inside the car, according to the sheriff's office. Skidmore had three self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
Skidmore was taken to a local hospital where deputy Scott Harper said he was in stable condition Monday "under tight security."
The incident began about 4:30 p.m. Sunday when North Salt Lake police went to check on Skidmore after family members reported that he might be "distraught."
Police tracked him though his cellphone to an industrial area of Salt Lake City.
Skidmore drove off when an officer approached. Airport police blocked the roads in the area to keep him from escaping.
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an 'uncommon' life...
- 2 killed in auto accident on I-80 in Summit...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Tino, the king of Hogle Zoo's jungle, is...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 42
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 27
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17