Baseball roundup: Oakland is really hot in July; Quentin gets new deal with Padres
PADRES 3, ROCKIES 2: At San Diego, Will Venable drove in the go-ahead run in the seventh inning and Everth Cabrera had two hits and scored twice as San Diego beat Colorado.
SAN DIEGO — Carlos Quentin has agreed to a $27 million, three-year contract with the San Diego Padres that includes a no-trade clause.
The outfielder, making $7,025,000 this year under his current deal, gets $9.5 million in each of the next two seasons and $8 million in 2015. The contract includes a $10 million mutual option for 2016 which would have a $3 million buyout if he has 320 starts or more from 2013-15.
The 29-year-old Quentin had arthroscopic right knee surgery during spring training and missed the first 49 games of the season. But he homered five times in his first six games for the Padres after being activated from the disabled list on May 28.
HERNANDEZ APOLOGIZES TO INDIANS: Roberto Hernandez reintroduced himself to Cleveland Indians teammates and apologized for deceiving them. The right-hander, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, was contrite and remorseful Sunday as he confessed to the entire organization and its fans that he pretended to be somebody he was not for the past 12 years.
"I want to say I'm sorry," Hernandez said through interpreter Charisse Dash. "I thank God I am here and have been given a new chance."
Hernandez said he was grateful to the organization for supporting him after he was arrested in the Dominican Republic in January outside the U.S. consulate as he tried to renew his visa. That's when it was discovered his name was Hernandez and he is 31 years old, three years older than listed.
The former All-Star revealed that the real Carmona is actually a "distant cousin," but that it was Hernandez who hatched the plan to take his name and claim he was only 17 when he signed with the Indians in 2000.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 148
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 50
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27