UTA targeting new revenue generating fare plan
Growing agency wants to reduce dependence on sales tax dollars
He said UTA plans to maintain its partnership programs with educational and corporate institutions, such as the University of Utah and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — two of the agency's top institutional revenue generators, accounting for more that 12 percent of UTA fares annually.
"These partnerships are mutually beneficial, and we expect them to continue into the foreseeable future," Allegra said. "Thousands of students and employees of these partners benefit daily from riding transit, enjoying financial savings and more efficient use of their commuting time. The community benefits from better air quality and reduced traffic congestion."
He acknowledged that the direct cost to a student or employee is determined by each partner, not by UTA.
"Many choose to subsidize the cost of the passes, providing them to employees or students for no out-of-pocket expense or for a nominal amount," he said. "UTA will continue to encourage this practice as we work to enhance our relationship with our partners."
With today's technology, UTA has an opportunity to develop a fare system that will provide greater options and possibilities for all of our riders, Allegra said.
The next few months will be spent developing potential fare concepts that we will share with our riders and the general public at the earliest opportunity, he said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: JasenLee1
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Impeachment investigation 'highly likely,'...
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview creates...
- Attorney General John Swallow tells House...
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 29
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 20