Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Here is why politics and Days of '47 Parade don't mix
Democratic Salt Lake County mayoral candidate Ben McAdams tried to get a float entered with himself dressed in his missionary suit (which still fits), along with Marlin Jensen, soon to be an emeritus LDS general authority, standing in his dark suit and tie, featuring a sign saying, "We're Democrats. You can be one, too. Would you like to learn more?"
Republican Salt Lake County mayoral candidate Mark Crockett wanted to drive a covered wagon with a sign on each side stating, "Brother Brigham may have divided congregations into Republicans and Democrats — but we're all Republicans now."
Pignanelli and Webb tried to get on a float labeled, "Your Favorite Columnists," but the Parade Committee quickly nixed that bright idea. They did say we could be contained in a cage on a float with a large sign saying, "Please do not feed these political animals." We agreed, if we could scribble underneath the sign, "Just throw candy (preferably chocolate)." Oops, that's against parade rules.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- In our opinion: Earmarks are becoming a...
- Letter: Elected representatives
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- In our opinion:: Nelson Mandela left legacy...
- If Iran truly wants only nuclear energy, it...
- The winners and the losers
- Letter: No limits
- Michael Gerson: Cancer has helped me see life...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 53
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Letter: Elected representatives 31
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 19
- Letter: No limits 19
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an... 11