Trappers to reunite Wednesday at favorite SLC gathering place
Bees will don '87 team jerseys in recognition
Ravell Call, Deseret News
On Wednesday at 6 p.m., many of the former Trappers will reunite at Duffy's Tavern, 932 S. Main Street, a favorite gathering spot back in 1987 for players and fans — and fans are welcome to attend.
"It's great that Duffy's is still there," catcher Frank Colston said. "During my time playing with the Trappers, I spent a lot of time there. Duffy's was one of the reasons I always wanted to own my own bar and restaurant."
This time they will get together and share memories and stories from that history-making season. Family and friends, many who haven't seen each other since their playing days, will reconnect.
"It's going to be great to see everyone," said Jim Gilligan, the Trappers' manager that season. "These guys were just kids when they played for me. Now they have families, careers, and it's great to see how they have all turned out. I'm really looking forward to it."
The team will be honored with an on-field recognition along with the ceremonial first pitch as the Salt Lake Bees host Sacramento. For many players, this will be their first time on the field since they won the 1987 Pioneer League Championship and heard the cheers for "The Streak."
The Salt Lake Bees will wear commemorative Trappers uniforms Thursday night in honor of the team's recording-breaking streak.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 137
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 58
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 47