Trappers to reunite Wednesday at favorite SLC gathering place
Bees will don '87 team jerseys in recognition
Ravell Call, Deseret News
On Wednesday at 6 p.m., many of the former Trappers will reunite at Duffy's Tavern, 932 S. Main Street, a favorite gathering spot back in 1987 for players and fans — and fans are welcome to attend.
"It's great that Duffy's is still there," catcher Frank Colston said. "During my time playing with the Trappers, I spent a lot of time there. Duffy's was one of the reasons I always wanted to own my own bar and restaurant."
This time they will get together and share memories and stories from that history-making season. Family and friends, many who haven't seen each other since their playing days, will reconnect.
"It's going to be great to see everyone," said Jim Gilligan, the Trappers' manager that season. "These guys were just kids when they played for me. Now they have families, careers, and it's great to see how they have all turned out. I'm really looking forward to it."
The team will be honored with an on-field recognition along with the ceremonial first pitch as the Salt Lake Bees host Sacramento. For many players, this will be their first time on the field since they won the 1987 Pioneer League Championship and heard the cheers for "The Streak."
The Salt Lake Bees will wear commemorative Trappers uniforms Thursday night in honor of the team's recording-breaking streak.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37