Trappers to reunite Wednesday at favorite SLC gathering place
Bees will don '87 team jerseys in recognition
Ravell Call, Deseret News
On Wednesday at 6 p.m., many of the former Trappers will reunite at Duffy's Tavern, 932 S. Main Street, a favorite gathering spot back in 1987 for players and fans — and fans are welcome to attend.
"It's great that Duffy's is still there," catcher Frank Colston said. "During my time playing with the Trappers, I spent a lot of time there. Duffy's was one of the reasons I always wanted to own my own bar and restaurant."
This time they will get together and share memories and stories from that history-making season. Family and friends, many who haven't seen each other since their playing days, will reconnect.
"It's going to be great to see everyone," said Jim Gilligan, the Trappers' manager that season. "These guys were just kids when they played for me. Now they have families, careers, and it's great to see how they have all turned out. I'm really looking forward to it."
The team will be honored with an on-field recognition along with the ceremonial first pitch as the Salt Lake Bees host Sacramento. For many players, this will be their first time on the field since they won the 1987 Pioneer League Championship and heard the cheers for "The Streak."
The Salt Lake Bees will wear commemorative Trappers uniforms Thursday night in honor of the team's recording-breaking streak.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30