JERUSALEM — Devastated mourners grasped at dirt atop fresh graves and screamed in agony Friday as they buried the five Israeli victims of a bombing in Bulgaria — an attack that Israel has blamed on Iran and its proxy group Hezbollah.
Two days after the deadly blast in a popular vacation spot, investigators in Bulgaria and in several other countries were still struggling to confirm the attacker's identity.
Bulgarian prosecutors said the attacker had short hair, not the long hair seen in the security video footage captured of him at the airport. A witness said he appeared to be wearing a wig.
The victims' coffins were received early Friday in a military ceremony at Israel's international airport. Seventeen Israelis remain in hospitals.
Childhood friends Itzik Kolengi, 28, and Amir Menashe, 27, were buried in the central Israeli town of Petah Tikva.
Kolengi's wife, Gilat, was wounded in the attack and remains hospitalized. The couple has an infant daughter.
"I promise you that the family and I will watch forever over your wife, Gilat, and your amazing daughter, Noya, who looks exactly like you, and we'll raise her just as you would have wanted," Kolangi's brother David said during his eulogy.
Menashe's wife, who was also wounded in the attack, attended the funeral in a wheelchair. They too have an infant son.
Nearby, in Rishon Lezion, hundreds of mourners joined the family of Cochava Shriki, a 42-year-old woman who had recently become pregnant after years of fertility treatments.
In the northern Israeli town of Acre, Maor Harush, 26, and his close friend Elior Price, 24, were laid to rest. A third friend remains hospitalized in serious condition.
Israeli and American officials have blamed the Iran-backed Lebanese militant group Hezbollah for Wednesday's bombing.
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Gallup poll shows shift in views on morality...
- One third of millenials regret going to college
- Stories behind viral Oklahoma tragedy photos...
- Why $1 billion doesn't mean what it used to...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize...
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 57
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,... 42
- Journalists criticize Obama... 38
- IRS official Lerner invokes Fifth... 22
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 21
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17
- US companies challenging contraception... 16