Francisco is hitting .244 in 23 games for Toronto in 2012. He has a .259 career average with 45 home runs in 483 career games with Cleveland, Philadelphia and Toronto.
Lyon, a former Taylorsville High School star, signed a three-year, $15 million contract with the Astros in December 2009. He struggled with tendinitis in his right biceps in 2011 and appeared in only 15 games. He's 0-2 with a 3.25 ERA in 37 appearances this season.
The left-throwing Happ is 7-9 with a 4.83 ERA in 18 starts this season, his third in Houston. Carpenter, playing for the Astros' Triple-A affiliate in Oklahoma City, was 0-2 with a 6.07 ERA in 30 relief appearances for the Astros this season.
ORIOLES ACQUIRE INFIELDER FROM METS: The Baltimore Orioles acquired infielder Omar Quintanilla from the New York Mets for cash on Friday.
Quintanilla was designated for assignment by the Mets on Tuesday when they activated outfielder Jason Bay from the disabled list.
The 30-year-old Quintanilla batted .257 with a homer, four RBIs and a .350 on-base percentage in 29 games for New York this season. He was called up from Triple-A Buffalo and filled in admirably at shortstop while starter Ruben Tejada and a pair of backups were injured.
"He knew coming in what his job was, and that was to play as well as he could until Ruben came back, and he did," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "When I talked to him when we sent him out the other day, I told him: 'This team owes you a tremendous thank you for the job you did.' Not just because, hey, he was our last resort. That was not it. He came up and played as good as anybody we've had. So he has a lot to do with where we sit today."
Quintanilla is expected to join the Orioles on Saturday, and a corresponding roster move will be made. A .218 career hitter in 592 big league at-bats, he also has played for Colorado and Texas.
In another move, right-hander Brad Bergesen, designated for assignment by the Orioles on Wednesday, was claimed off waivers by Arizona. He has not pitched in the majors this season.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41