, LDS Church Public Affairs
Because I grew up next to the Missionary Training Center, or MTC, in Provo, I am very interested in the proposal to build a nine-story building in this essentially residential neighborhood (in contradiction to the original understanding that nothing taller than four stories would ever be built).
I do not think that other alternatives to meet the MTC's need for expansion have been sufficiently explored, or if they have, they have not been presented to the community in an approach of dialogue and persuasion.
Whatever the ultimate outcome, I think it is critical that the voices of the adjacent residents are solicited, engaged and heard without any implicit fear of church discipline or feelings of guilt for the expression of concerns.
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 96
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 42
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive... 42
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local... 28
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test? 27
- In our opinion: How committed are... 26
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are... 21