Hattiesburg American, Ryan Moore, File) NO SALES, Associated Press
Brett Favre is returning to football — as an assistant high school coach in Mississippi.
His agent, Bus Cook, told The Associated Press Friday that Favre will work at Oak Grove High School this fall "to help out in some capacity, but I'm not sure exactly what his role will be."
The school is near the former NFL quarterback's home in Hattiesburg, Miss.
The Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald reported that Favre is expected to be the offensive coordinator. Oak Grove head coach Nevil Barr told the AP he has talked about a possible role for Favre on the coaching staff, though a job title hasn't been defined. Favre has helped at Oak Grove in an unofficial capacity in previous years.
The three-time league MVP retired from the NFL in 2010.
Favre, who grew up in nearby Kiln, Miss., has kept a low profile in Hattiesburg since he retired. He rarely does interviews, though he is occasionally seen at Southern Mississippi's football or baseball games. Favre played in college at Southern Miss, where he also made his debut television analyst.
He's remained coy about future plans, but has often said how much he enjoys working with kids.
Oak Grove is a perennial power at the 6A level in Mississippi, which is the state's largest high school classification.
Favre played for 20 years in the NFL — mostly for the Green Bay Packers. He also played for the Atlanta Falcons, New York Jets and Minnesota Vikings. He is the league's all-time leader with 71,838 passing yards and 508 touchdowns and won a Super Bowl in 1996 with the Packers.
Follow David Brandt on Twitter: (at)davidbrandtAP
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 27