Utah's Kodachrome Basin State Park overshadowed by famous neighbors
You can get off SR 12 onto dirt roads that are designated scenic backways; these will take you to less traveled scenic areas. That includes Hole-in-the-Rock Scenic Backway and Burr Trail Scenic Backway.
Grand Staircase-Escalante has visitors centers in Cannonville, Escalante and Boulder.
Willis Creek Narrows is another attraction. The stream narrows to 4 feet with cliffs more than 200 feet high. It is a colorful world of rock, water and shadows. It is one of many slot canyons in the national monument.
For information, contact the Cannonville Visitor Center, 435-679-8981, www.ut.blm.gov/monument.
There are numerous outfitters in Escalante and Boulder (the two towns are 29 miles apart) that provide guided trips, shuttles and one-day excursions to slot canyons and other nearby attractions.
The prime seasons to visit are mid-March through May and again in September and October.
For information about Route 12 and its attractions, there are two contacts:
Garfield County Travel Council, 800-444-6689; www.brycecanyoncountry.com.
Wayne County Travel Council, 800-858-7951; www.capitolreef.org.
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Genealogy: A journal has many uses
- Families celebrate Christmas traditions as...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Food Storage Essentials: What about storing...
- Holiday video game guide: Something for...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 110
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 15
- Tips for living: One woman's journey to... 9
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6