Utah's Kodachrome Basin State Park overshadowed by famous neighbors
You can get off SR 12 onto dirt roads that are designated scenic backways; these will take you to less traveled scenic areas. That includes Hole-in-the-Rock Scenic Backway and Burr Trail Scenic Backway.
Grand Staircase-Escalante has visitors centers in Cannonville, Escalante and Boulder.
Willis Creek Narrows is another attraction. The stream narrows to 4 feet with cliffs more than 200 feet high. It is a colorful world of rock, water and shadows. It is one of many slot canyons in the national monument.
For information, contact the Cannonville Visitor Center, 435-679-8981, www.ut.blm.gov/monument.
There are numerous outfitters in Escalante and Boulder (the two towns are 29 miles apart) that provide guided trips, shuttles and one-day excursions to slot canyons and other nearby attractions.
The prime seasons to visit are mid-March through May and again in September and October.
For information about Route 12 and its attractions, there are two contacts:
Garfield County Travel Council, 800-444-6689; www.brycecanyoncountry.com.
Wayne County Travel Council, 800-858-7951; www.capitolreef.org.
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Salt Lake City has highest rate of same-sex...
- Taking back family dinner: A healthy,...
- Photo of inspiring message in Oklahoma rubble...
- Family of man killed in DUI case hopes driver...
- Men experience the pains of labor through...
- Concert review: Imagine Dragons win over...
- Viral photos encourage moms to 'set aside the...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah... 10
- Disney reportedly pulls new 'Brave'... 9
- French president signs gay marriage... 5
- Former middle-class moms choose new... 5
- Salt Lake City has highest rate of... 2
- Taking back family dinner: A healthy,... 2
- Viral photos encourage moms to 'set... 2
- Psychologist calls doctor accused of... 2