Syrian Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari blamed elements from al-Qaida and Arab and non-Arab jihadist and terrorist groups for the attacks.
He reiterated the Syrian government's support for Annan's mission and a Syrian-led national dialogue.
"However, it also requires a sincere international commitment and political will from all — especially those parties that have influence on the armed groups and the armed opposition," Ja'afari said. "Some countries are still bent on undermining any serious effort that seeks to solve the problem in Syria peacefully."
Churkin told the council he would not put Moscow's rival draft resolution to a vote to avoid continuing confrontation in the U.N.'s most powerful body. Moscow's proposal called for the "immediate implementation" of Annan's plan and guidelines for a political transition approved at a meeting in Geneva last month and would have extended the observer mission for 90 days but made no mention of sanctions.
Rice, the U.S. ambassador, said Churkin didn't call for a vote on his draft because he didn't have the minimum nine "yes" votes needed.
She said the U.S. might be prepared to consider a final brief extension of the observer mission "if it would allow for the monitors and the civilian staff to withdraw safely."
Rice stressed that the United States is not pinning its policy on the unarmed observer but will instead intensify its work "with a diverse range of partners outside the Security Council to bring pressure to bear on the Assad regime and to deliver assistance to those in need."
Associated Press Writer Peter James Spielmann contributed to this report from the United Nations.
- How much did people spend on cars the year...
- Paris attacks suspect Abdeslam extradited,...
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz 'Lucifer in...
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate
- Former House speaker sentenced to more than a...
- ID of woman found near Manson murders site...
- Gangster's girlfriend faces more prison time...
- Trump delivers foreign policy address as Cruz...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 62
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 26
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 22
- Illinois bills would limit mentally ill... 21
- Trump routs rivals in Northeast;... 21
- Former House speaker sentenced to more... 20
- Obama says new US troops in Syria will... 19