NEW YORK — Spending by teams in baseball's amateur draft dropped by 11 percent in the first year of restrictions imposed by the new labor contract.
Teams allocated $207.8 million to draft picks, down from $233.6 million last year though still the second-highest annual total, according to figures compiled by Major League Baseball. The decline in the first round was even more pronounced, a 17 percent fall from $89.5 million to $74.3 million this year.
Just 10 teams exceeded their signing bonus pool, incurring a total luxury tax of $1.6 million. But no team reached the second level of the tax, which would cause a club to forfeit its next first-round draft pick.
Under the latest labor deal, two aims were to slow spending on prospects through the draft and to get picks to sign sooner.
"We think that the system performed well in its initial year," said Rob Manfred, MLB's executive vice president of economics and league affairs. "It accomplished the goal, in our view, which was to allow the weakest teams with the best opportunities to get the best talent."Comment on this story
TWINS TO KEEP CAPPS OUT: The shoulder injury that sent Minnesota closer Matt Capps back to the disabled list has worsened, and the right-hander will miss the next several weeks. Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Wednesday the MRI on Capps' shoulder showed more irritation in his rotator cuff. He will be shut down indefinitely, longer than the 15-day minimum stay. Capps first went to the DL on June 25. He came off last Friday, pitched twice and had to be put back on with more discomfort.
STRAINED ACHILLES LANDS ORTIZ ON DL: The Boston Red Sox placed designated hitter David Ortiz on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right Achilles tendon before Wednesday night's game against the Chicago White Sox.
Ortiz was injured rounding second base in Monday night's win against the White Sox.