Dance troupe plans to minister at the Olympics through spiritual movement
Our take: With the 2012 London Olympic games just a few weeks away, many Christians living in London have been making plans to spread the gospel in a variety of ways to visitors who will be in town for the games. Operation Mobilization's Lifehope division plans to evangelize through their ministry, DanceLink, a group that uses dance and performance arts to share the love of Jesus. A team of eight dancers, five from the U.S., one from the Netherlands, one from France and one from Wales, have been preparing a number of pieces to help open people up to hearing the gospel by engaging them with the beauty of dance.
As Olympics outreaches gear up, Operation Mobilization is sending for dancing evangelists, of sorts.
DanceLink, a ministry of OM Arts, functions at OM Lifehope as a creative avenue for dancers to share the love of Jesus in a variety of styles and settings. With a dedication to pursing excellence, dancers at OM Lifehope have the opportunity to collaborate, rehearse and perform in outreaches throughout the UK and Europe.
OM Lifehopes dance ministry leader, Amy Williams, shares about Dancelink, the Olympics outreach and the future.
Tell us about the start of Dancelink at Lifehope.
We have spent the last several months starting to find our feet. We did the Easter outreach with one local church, weve worked with a girls club in a Muslim area of Birmingham and weve worked with a local youth group. Those have been workshop style, so teaching basics in one of the genres of dance.
With the Lifehope community outreach participants, we have a little more time, so weve been able to talk through the heart of dance. Why do we dance? How do we use it as a form of worship? None of them really had any dance experience, so it was a brand-new area for them to explore. Wed like to develop the program more fully, to partner with the community outreach program and make the dance component really take off.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Defending the Faith: The very surprising...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple cart
- Watch: LDS bishop featured in 'Meet the...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 107
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 39
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 38
- Defending the Faith: The very... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 15
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple... 11