Is anyone tethered to Earth anymore? Romney said he would repeal Obamacare because he always says this. What would the word parsers have said if he had adjusted his message to be more palatable to a crowd from which no one expected more than basic civility? They would have said he was a deceiver, a shape-shifter, a manipulator and a dishonest broker.
As for the term "Obamacare," this is widely used, including by columnists who are strictly limited by word count. I'll never use four unwieldy words that most people don't recognize, such as "The Affordable Care Act," for one word that everybody understands: Obamacare.
It has a ring to it that means nothing beyond what it is — short, memorable and to the point, sort of like "Romneycare," which Democrats use frequently. What sort of dogs are they whistling to, one wonders? Trying to stoke the rage of all those "very black" or "very Latino" Mormon haters?
Kathleen Parker's email address is email@example.com.
- In our opinion: Democracy and political...
- Jeff Singer: From doctors to bureaucrats: A...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Legislative...
- Letter: Hive Pass prices unfair
- Doug Robinson: Dinsmore has made his mark on...
- Charles Krauthammer: Serious foreign policy,...
- Letter: No sportsmanship, no class
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- Mike Lee: It will be our ideas that win... 40
- Letter: Invite the divine 37
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 35
- Letter: Putin's invasion 24
- Richard Davis: Russia should be stopped... 21
- Letter: Democracy is ... 19
- George F. Will: Squandered potential:... 19
- Will November be a referendum on... 17