Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SANDY — A 2-year-old Colorado boy died Tuesday evening after accidentally shooting himself while on vacation at his grandparent's home in Sandy.
Sandy City Police Sgt. Jon Arnold said the incident happened just after 7 p.m. at the home near 8800 South and 500 East. The child's mother, a grandparent and two of the boy's siblings were at the house at the time.
The toddler apparently found a 9mm handgun in the master bedroom of the home, police said. When he grabbed it, the gun discharged.
Arnold said the bullet struck the child in the head. He was airlifted to Primary Children's Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
The boy and his family were visiting the grandparents for a summer vacation. Names of those involved have not been released.
The family was visiting from Denver. The boy's father was heading to the airport at the time of the accident, but police said both parents went to the hospital.
There were still a lot of unanswered questions Tuesday night, especially regarding how the 2-year-old even got a hold of the gun.
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview creates...
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Man charged with attempted murder in Ogden...
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,...
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is...
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 27
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 17