Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SANDY — A 2-year-old Colorado boy died Tuesday evening after accidentally shooting himself while on vacation at his grandparent's home in Sandy.
Sandy City Police Sgt. Jon Arnold said the incident happened just after 7 p.m. at the home near 8800 South and 500 East. The child's mother, a grandparent and two of the boy's siblings were at the house at the time.
The toddler apparently found a 9mm handgun in the master bedroom of the home, police said. When he grabbed it, the gun discharged.
Arnold said the bullet struck the child in the head. He was airlifted to Primary Children's Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
The boy and his family were visiting the grandparents for a summer vacation. Names of those involved have not been released.
The family was visiting from Denver. The boy's father was heading to the airport at the time of the accident, but police said both parents went to the hospital.
There were still a lot of unanswered questions Tuesday night, especially regarding how the 2-year-old even got a hold of the gun.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other elected...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 130
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 49
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Do Utah high school students need four... 22
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12