NFL notes: Rice, Forte, Scobee land rich new contracts with their teams
COWBOYS' BRYANT ARRESTED: Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant is free on bond after he was arrested on a misdemeanor family violence charge.
Bryant turned himself in Monday afternoon to police in the southern Dallas suburb of DeSoto. His attorney, Royce West, says Bryant posted $1,500 bond after learning a warrant had been issued for his arrest. West said he was gathering details of the allegations and declined to elaborate or comment.
DeSoto police said details would be released Tuesday.
Under state law, family violence is an attack or "a threat" of imminent harm against a member of a family or household. It's a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine.
'ROAD RAGE' IN MIAMI BEACH: Police say a road rage incident in Miami Beach led to the arrest of Denver Broncos defensive tight end Elvis Dumervil.
A police report released Monday says the 28-year-old Dumervil and another man, Andy Aguste, were stuck in traffic Saturday evening. It said they got into an argument with another driver, Kristine Ramirez, and the two men displayed weapons.
When police arrived, Dumervil told them he didn't have a gun. Officers say they found a gun in the car's glove compartment.
Dumervil was arrested on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He bonded out of jail. Attorney Harvey Steinberg says he expects authorities to clear his client after they conclude their investigation.
Aguste was also charged with aggravated assault.
AVRIL, LIONS BREAK OFF NEGOTIATIONS: Cliff Avril says negotiations on a long-term contract with the Detroit Lions have ended.
Avril says he wasn't mad when he knew Monday that a deal wasn't going to get done before the 4 p.m. EDT deadline.
He will stay in Detroit as a franchise-tagged defensive end for at least one more season with a $10.6 million, one-year contract.
The 26-year-old Avril was hoping to be rewarded with a multiyear contract for being a consistent playmaker for an improving team. He had career highs with 11 sacks, six forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries last year to help the Lions snap their 11-season postseason drought.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- BYU football report card: Boise State's big...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 113
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 18