Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU seniors Braden Hansen and Uona Kaveinga, along with junior Kyle Van Noy, were each named Monday to award watch lists recognizing the nation's best linemen and linebackers.
Hansen, a senior offensive guard, and Van Noy, a junior outside linebacker, were both named to the 43rd annual Rotary Lombardi Award Official Watch List. The Rotary Lombardi Award is given to the nation's top college lineman or linebacker each year.
Kaveinga was named to the 28th annual Butkus Award preseason watch list recognizing the nation's top linebackers.
Hansen has started all 39 games of his career for the Cougars, on pace to tie the BYU record of 52 consecutive starts. A product of Sandy, Hansen has helped BYU to 28 wins over the last three years and three straight bowl victories. Hansen has also been named to the Outland Trophy Watch List recognizing the best interior linemen for the second consecutive season.
Van Noy led the Cougars in sacks (7.0) and tackles for loss (15.0) in 2011 to go along with his 68 total tackles. A 6-foot-3, 235-pounder from Reno, Nev., Van Noy was the only Division I player last year to record a statistic in each of the major defensive categories including tackles, tackles for loss, sacks, quarterback hurries, pass breakups, interceptions, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries and blocked kicks. Van Noy was also recently named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list for the nation's best defensive player.
Kaveinga started all 13 games for BYU as a junior in 2011 after beginning his career at USC. The 5-foot-11, 236-pound native of Hawthorne, Calif., earned Phil Steele All-Independent second team honors last season while helping BYU achieve a 10-3 record and a No. 25 final national ranking in the team's first season as a football independent.
BYU begins fall camp in August in preparation for its season-opener on Aug. 30 against Washington State in LaVell Edwards Stadium.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 55
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 44
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8