Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU seniors Braden Hansen and Uona Kaveinga, along with junior Kyle Van Noy, were each named Monday to award watch lists recognizing the nation's best linemen and linebackers.
Hansen, a senior offensive guard, and Van Noy, a junior outside linebacker, were both named to the 43rd annual Rotary Lombardi Award Official Watch List. The Rotary Lombardi Award is given to the nation's top college lineman or linebacker each year.
Kaveinga was named to the 28th annual Butkus Award preseason watch list recognizing the nation's top linebackers.
Hansen has started all 39 games of his career for the Cougars, on pace to tie the BYU record of 52 consecutive starts. A product of Sandy, Hansen has helped BYU to 28 wins over the last three years and three straight bowl victories. Hansen has also been named to the Outland Trophy Watch List recognizing the best interior linemen for the second consecutive season.
Van Noy led the Cougars in sacks (7.0) and tackles for loss (15.0) in 2011 to go along with his 68 total tackles. A 6-foot-3, 235-pounder from Reno, Nev., Van Noy was the only Division I player last year to record a statistic in each of the major defensive categories including tackles, tackles for loss, sacks, quarterback hurries, pass breakups, interceptions, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries and blocked kicks. Van Noy was also recently named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list for the nation's best defensive player.
Kaveinga started all 13 games for BYU as a junior in 2011 after beginning his career at USC. The 5-foot-11, 236-pound native of Hawthorne, Calif., earned Phil Steele All-Independent second team honors last season while helping BYU achieve a 10-3 record and a No. 25 final national ranking in the team's first season as a football independent.
BYU begins fall camp in August in preparation for its season-opener on Aug. 30 against Washington State in LaVell Edwards Stadium.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41